Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hooked On House Tours Blog Party

I'm participating in Julia's Hooked on House Tours Blog Party today. She has over 50 bloggers participating, its like her own little Home-A-Rama so be sure to pop on over later and tell her Robin sent you. But first, please step inside...

This is my building. When it was originally built in 1875, it was the largest apartment building in Connecticut. In the late '70s it was slated for the wrecking ball, but an enterprising developer bought it and the yellow brick building to the left of it and turned them into condos. He kept much of the period details like moldings, trims, carved copper hinges, doorknobs, and light fixtures, but installed modern amenities like new sheetrock, modern plumbing, heating and electric. I'm up on the 4th floor, but don't worry, there is an elevator.


When you walk in this is what you see. My place is about 970 sq ft. I was going to "stage" it for this photo shoot, but I figured it is perfect in its imperfection. Oh, and also I did not have time.

To the right when you walk in and up two steps is my office, which is kind of messy today due to a bunch of book orders from half.com, plus a craft I'm in the middle of, so this is all you'll see today.


I like my books organized by topic vs color, so that is why they are not neat and tidy at all (and interior designers everywhere are cringing). Top left is cookbooks, top right is historical non-fiction, poetry and vintage. The whole middle is fiction and the bottom is non-fiction, reference and books I loved as a child (Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, etc.). Tchochkes and photos everywhere, and there are more books and magazines all over the rest of the place.

Through the office is the half bath. My camera doesn't scale back enough and the room is small so this is as good as it gets. I love this wall color - Chocolate Sparkle by Behr. There is no "sparkle" per se, but there is plenty of chocolate and after I did this room I wanted to paint every room this color. It is delicious. On the left is a framed page from Godey's Ladies Book, circa 1860s, that I got for a song at an antiques market in Vermont.


Back down the steps to the living/dining room. On your right is the buffet/bar, I just realized the lampshade is slightly crooked. But you don't see it because you are too busy looking at my favorite painting, "Plunging Neckline" by local artist Sandy Welch. I bought this as a (very expensive) birthday present for myself a couple of years ago. Coincidentally I bought it the same night Mr. Marie-Louise (married to my BFF Marie-Louise of Cottage Industries) showed me the engagement ring he had picked out for her. It was an expensive night for both of us. And there was a lot of wine.

Here is the dining area and living room. The dining room set is reproduction Duncan Phyfe lyre-back chairs and pedestal table that were given to me by my ex's grandmother. I recently had them refinished and recovered the seat cushions myself in two different toiles.

A closer look at the living room area; the wall color is Carribean Coral by Behr. The black lump on the sofa is Zoe, one of my two black cats. The sofa is her personal throne (or so she thinks). Her brother Simon is around here somewhere.

I couldn't not show you the kitchen, although I detest it and it is slated for a makeover. Dig that 70s linoleum and light fixture! And don't you love the obnoxious placement of the thermostat on the left? I can't hang anything there and I can't move it. Aaargh!

My bedroom. The wall color looks white-ish in this photo but it is Coffee with Milk. I love my bed. If I could drive it, I would.


Master bath. A new vanity is on the to-do list here as well.


As you leave the bedroom you pass this view of the Farmington River. It was painted by Mr. Marie-Louise and he tells me it was his first oil painting. I don't believe him.


Speaking of views, here is the eastward-view from my little balcony. The beige monstrosity is the federal courthouse, completely devoid of any architectural interest.



And here is the north view, the Hartford skyline, or at least what I can see of it, as the sun sets. We also have a lovely garden that we just redid, but I don't have any photos. It is perfect for a quiet evening with a book and a glass of wine, or a festive barbeque (we are a very social building).

Thanks for stopping by, I promise next time there'll be wine and cheese. Now scoot on over to Julia's and be prepared to not get anything done today because there are lots of houses for you to look at and comment on!

34 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

First of all, can I tell you how much I love that you worked "Home-a-Rama" into your post??

Second--WOW! What a great building! I just love it. Also love all of your bookshelves, your paintings, and your VIEWS. What a wonderful tour.

Thanks so much for joining our blog party and sharing this with us, Robin! -Julia :-)

Quirky Cottage Owners said...

I love the Carribean Coral paint and will be taking a closer look at it at my Home Depot. What a great space to live in. It looks so warm and comfortable. I could relax immediately in those rooms. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post. A kiss to Zoe -- I love black cats.
Rita

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

What a fabulous tour! I love a good city house!! Your art is scrumptuous! Your bookcases divine...and hey, works for me having them in that order!

Unknown said...

What a great building! I love what you've done w/ your condo, especially the art you collect!

Blogger said...

You live in the city! Wow, I love that!

I love how your home is so stylish and classy, but comfortable at the same time, that is not easy to pull off.

Drive your bed, lol...that made me think of the opening song-ditty thing to "The Monkeys" lol, where they are rolling down the street in a bed ;)

We use Behr paint, too, we love it...love that color in your bathroom!!!

Thanks for the peek inside your lovely home!

Come by and see my open house if you get a chance.

Thanks and nice to meet you,

Bella

Marie Louise said...

Well "Mr. Marie Louise" was very flattered that you posted his painting. He still insists it was his first. Great photo of your building - did you take that yesterday? It was a beautiful day!

Anonymous said...

wow! cool building. cool apartment.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely home you have! Your furniture is very elegant but it looks cozy and inviting. Thanks for sharing, now I'm off to check out the other homes!

Anonymous said...

Your building is wonderful! Thanks so much for adding your home to Julia's tour.

I organize my books the same. So much easier for me to find what I'm looking for!

Unknown said...

WOW ~ WOW ~ WOW ~ What a gorgeous home from the outside in! And that art is amazing!

please sir said...

So NEAT - I love the space! The bookcase is my favorite - thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dahling!!!Been there....Loved it!!

The House That A-M Built said...

What a beautiful home you have. Thank you so much for sharing it with us! I am so jealous that you live in the city. How exciting. You have created a wonderful haven amongst it all! A-M xx

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE your building... love your wall colours... my powder/guest bath is a very similar colour. Love the French doors... you're right, you do have them!
BTW... I have a beautiful thermostat in my dining room... I've found a frame that will fit over it... good camoflage!
Thanks for letting us in your home and I definitely want to come back for cheese, wine and to hang out with you and you BFF!
Fifi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the house tour. What a beautiful building. I miss the east coast!

Tara (Random Acts of Home Decor)

Anonymous said...

great place, not the usual pottery barn/ikea wonderland that most urban spaces are. well done and thanks for sharing.

Abbreviated said...

Thanks for the tour !

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

Ooooh home tours are my favorite. I just love your paint colors and the dining room/living room. Your building looks amazing. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely and cozy abode.

P.S. I *love* your bed...it's something that I've never splurged on {a real bed frame}, but am dying to have. Yours looks perfect.

Anonymous said...

Your space looks so much bigger than it sounds. Spacious and cozy and lovely!

Anonymous said...

Great building and lovely apartment! I went to college near Hartford, so I used to spend lots of time there--especially, I'm afraid, at the mall in West Hartford!

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

no no no! I am an interior designer and I am APPLAUDING you for having your books organized by topic! It's the logical, sensible, rational thing to do, at least for people who actually read, use, and refer to their books rather than just putting them in colored groups. There are ways to make bookshelves look nice without resorting to that.

*ack* *shudder*

sorry. but it's one of my pet peeves. love the apartment!

littlebyrd said...

Wow! Thanks for such a fantatstic tour. Your home is gorgeous!! I love that you didn't stage it - it was nice to see exactly how you live. The views, the decorating, that painting, and THE SOFA! Loved it all.

Marnie said...

great popping in for a visit - drove through Hartford yesterday and thought of you - nice building - i thought it was nyc at first glance - I like to organize my books too - so much easier to find what you want - and know what you have

Unknown said...

I wish I had know about the house tour thing I would have liked to join. Oh, well to late now. Daisy~

Bonbon Oiseau said...

sounds and looks like so much fun--thanks for your comment too--what a nice welcome home!

Ewa said...

Hello Robin,
I love the building you are showing. And you know what impressed me most? Your books arranged by topic and colors :) Probably because I have never done it - I will try :) Thanks for inspiration.
Thank you also for visiting and leaving a comment :)
Greetings,
Ewa

Elizabeth said...

I love Hooked on Houses and was so happy to stumble onto this post on your blog. I love your chock-full bookshelves and serene-looking bedroom. Thanks for the tour.

The House That A-M Built said...

Robin, you won! You won the handbag in my 'Handbag Giveaway'! I am publishing the post now, announcing you as the winner. Congratulations! Please email me with your delivery address and I will attempt to get it there in one piece, over the seas and up into your hemisphere! Best Wishes, A-M xx

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

wow! what a fantasic tour! i enjoyed your home very much, especially your paint color choices. i especially love the coral color! it's always fun to peak inside the homes of others to see how they live and how they arrange things. love the bookcase and the way you categorize by topic! it's like a mini-library :) thanks for sharing!

Raina Cox said...

Bravo for a sensible library arrangement! And I don't know that I would be so confident to show off my house and I decorate for a living. YAY for Robin! And that Mr. Marie-Louise is a talent.

knitseashore said...

I love your home! Thank you for sharing with us, especially the art and the book cases. (Did you know that some people by books for decoration only? That you can buy books *by the foot* at the Strand bookstore for that purpose?? *Shudder*) I think books need to be organized so you can find what you want. Anyway, thank you for the inspiration. We need to work on our house this fall.

Anonymous said...

WOW! A wonderful building. A great architecture. I like it and i am sure that everybody will like it.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful building. I'm glad the wrecking ball didn't get a hold of it!!! Your place is gorgeous. Off to check out your lovely home decorated for the holidays.

PS The popcorn garland is fake :)

Anonymous said...

I'm here via Sas and whilst here couldn't help but have a poke around your place which is really rather lovely. I would be grateful however if you could show me your shoe collection. Thank you.