Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Me, Me, Meme

I love me a good meme and Sherri at The Claw was kind enough to include me with some pretty fab bloggers in her tag list, so here goes with her Eight Questions:

1. best news you've heard in a while? Ken Follett’s Pillars of the Earth was finally made into a movie. Well, a miniseries. A great book, I hope they don’t screw it up.

2. first concert you ever saw? Toto, 1982, at a theater (vs. an arena). At the time I knew only one of their songs but the French exchange student who was living with us that summer was mad for them, and she was cool, so they must be cool, so I happily tagged along. We sat right in front of the speakers and I was deaf for at least a day afterward.

3. who was your teenybopper crush? Young Patrick Dempsey was a fave. Current Patrick Dempsey also, but wasn't he so cute in Can't Buy Me Love? Also, the whole cast of The Outsiders. Except maybe Ralph Macchio. Not my type. Also: too Karate Kid.

outsiders1983_0

4. favorite new blogs you'd recommend? These aren’t new per se, but they are new to me: La Maison Boheme, Small Place Style, From Me To You (really gorgeous photography and food styling and I love the Diary of a Brocavore series of recipes and photos).

5. would you be interested in a bloggy pal meetup, and if so where do you suggest? New York! Or Chicago. I'll go anywhere.

6. total eclipse of the heart - crank up or change the station? Crank it up once for old times sake and a loud sing-a-long. Definitely not on repeat though.

7. currently reading? Catching up on stacks of magazines before diving into a new book.

8. karaoke - yes or no? I love the idea of karaoke, but the few times I have gone it seems to be very cliquey and elitist, and that is no fun. So ‘no’ on principle. Maybe we could have a private Total Eclipse of The Heart karaoke party at the blogger meet-up?

Want to play along (and I hope you do)? Answer my Eight Questions in the Comments or on your blog (and put a link in the Comments):

1. Favorite non-John Hughes ‘80s movie?

2. Cake or pie? Discuss.

3. Here is $100 cash, what would you splurge on?

4. Here is another $100 cash, but you have to donate it. To whom and why?

5. First job you ever had.

6. Something that you collected and have since stopped but people keep giving you (and what do you do with it now?).

7. Describe your perfect Sunday.

8. Look! Time travel is now possible! Where would you go?

7 comments:

essbesee said...

Forgot my Matt Dillon crush. now he is weird, but outsiders era - whoohoo! thanks for playing along. love your questions, I'll play.

1. Favorite non-John Hughes ‘80s movie? Airplane, Drugstore Cowboy or When Harry Met Sally

2. Cake or pie? Discuss. I love a damn cake.

3. Here is $100 cash, what would you splurge on?
lately? fabric to sew with or books I'll never finish reading.

4. Here is another $100 cash, but you have to donate it. To whom and why? the oil spill cleanup b/c it is so effin horrible.

5. First job you ever had. Burger King!

6. Something that you collected and have since stopped but people keep giving you (and what do you do with it now?). I've never collected anything much, I used to collect small animal-shaped vases, but no one gave them to me much. And maybe classic Van Halen parephenalia.

7. Describe your perfect Sunday. sleeping late. eating a fattening breakfast. getting back in bed and reading. falling back asleep. getting up and going for a hike or something outdoorsy with my family. dinner alone with my hubby and me and a sitter to put the kids down.

8. Look! Time travel is now possible! Where would you go? back in time to talk to my dad. that and to studio 54. i kid.

Raina Cox said...

Great answers! Look at Tom Cruise when he was just a young gayelle.

I'm going to answer your meme questions in an upcoming Lamp Shade post. Gotta spread the memes out so that I don't bore people with the Raina.

cheatymoon said...

Damn - I never finished Pillars - I got more than 1/2 way through... Now I feel like I've missed out.

I will answer Sherri's eventually on my blog. But because I'm avoiding some powerpoint writing RIGHT NOW, I'll give yours a whirl.

1. Favorite non-John Hughes ‘80s movie?
Princess Bride / Harry Sally / Local Hero
2. Cake or pie? Discuss.
Cake. The cheese kind.
3. Here is $100 cash, what would you splurge on?
Sephora. No, http://skinbotanica.com/
4. Here is another $100 cash, but you have to donate it. To whom and why?
A family who is living a hellish life due to effing oil spill
5. First job you ever had.
Orthodontic assistant. That would be a good post.
6. Something that you collected and have since stopped but people keep giving you (and what do you do with it now?).
Penguins, sort of.
7. Describe your perfect Sunday.
Rainy day, sleeping late, pjs all day, some naked time, cheesecake for breakfast lunch and dinner.
8. Look! Time travel is now possible! Where would you go?
Anywhere before there were roads and cars. Also, I'd like to have supper with my grandmother.

knitseashore said...

I typed my reply, and Blogger ate it. Grrr. I hate Blogger. But I LOVE Patrick Dempsey, and the fact that he's a cyclist doesn't hurt. His Bicycling magazine cover is on my inspiration board. :)

1. There were non-John Hughes movies?

2. Coconut Cake, seconded by Blueberry or Cherry Pie.

3. Clothes (wouldn't go very far) or a spa thing. I am on a book diet.

4. Some to my shelter, for the 150+ cats and 40+ kittens we currently have (spay and neuter your pets, people!) and some to my church, which is sending a team to Haiti to build a medical facility. So many needs, so little funding...

5. First job = waitress. First real job = librarian.

6. My dad still collects Raggedy Ann things for me. I have the dolls out but store the other stuff.

7. Perfect Saturday = It is 85-90F and sunny. I shop at little boutiques for pretty clothes in the morning, then go to the beach to read with my beloved and revel in the salt air. Beach = heaven. After the beach, go to dinner where we can eat outdoors on a patio and see more ocean. I don't have to scoop one cat box or clean one cat mess that day. Sigh.

8. 1920s, between the US and England. The drop-waisted dresses are going to be difficult, though. But the jewelry will make up for that.

s i m o n said...

Awww this is rather sweet and positive, I like positive blogs :D :D good good, here is my attempt:

1. Favorite non-John Hughes ‘80s movie?

Ghostbusters. (there are so many to choose from)

2. Cake or pie? Discuss.

Cake goes with coffee, beer with pie, so the question really is coffee or beer.... coffee...

3. Here is $100 cash, what would you splurge on?

I'd have to get it converted to £ which would leave me with a lot less after commision - a digital camera perhaps :)

4. Here is another $100 cash, but you have to donate it. To whom and why?

Hmmmm... My mum, because she basically spends what little she has keeping me in socks and frappacino's and I want to show my gratitude in any way I can :D

5. First job you ever had.

3 weeks in a friend of a friend's self employed little back-room office thing, a data-entry job I was too incompetent for...

6. Something that you collected and have since stopped but people keep giving you (and what do you do with it now?).

Hmmm....I suppose books in a way... I don't/can't and have never read enough, although Doris Lessing has now taught me that you only have to read what you want in books you don't have to read it all and can just stop if you're bored :X

7. Describe your perfect Sunday.

Complete clarity of mind, sitting and conversing over cups of coffee's in starbucks and going for a long walk, the conversation never tiring, exciting creative things spur on and I leave with a feeling of greatness and that faith in humanity is restored.

8. Look! Time travel is now possible! Where would you go?

The height of Victorian London :D and write The Importance Of Being Earnest before Mister Wilde and become famous and rich (but not get caught ;))

Robin said...

Welcome Simon, glad you enjoyed the meme, your answers are fantastic. I especially enjoyed your cake vs pie argument!

Holyoke Home said...

Wow! These are great blog post ideas! I'll try to remember to come back to them when my post schedule dries up - as it usually does in late fall and winter.