Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

White-Trash, Trailer-Park, Ghetto Fabulous… Toffee

This super-simple, inexpensive, addictive toffee is called “Chocolate Praline Toffee Crisps” by the kids at Pampered Chef, but is better known as “White Trash Toffee”, “Trailer Park Toffee” or “Ghetto Toffee”, mostly because of its base ingredient: the humble Saltine cracker. In fact, it should be called “Crack Toffee” because it is cheap and highly addictive. I’ve made this three times now for three different parties/picnics and it gets inhaled every time. I suggest you make some for any picnics you’re going to this summer, you’ll be very popular.

Engtoff

Saltine Chocolate Crunch
(aka “White Trash Toffee”)

Ingredients
1 sleeve (about 24) saltines*
3/4 C. brown sugar
1 C. (2 sticks) butter
12 oz. (2 C.) chocolate chips
3/4 C. chopped nuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°
Line a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan with foil, spray foil very lightly with cooking spray (or use non-stick foil) and cover cookie sheet with saltines in one layer.

Boil sugar and butter in a non-stick pan until the butter is completely incorporated into the sugar, stirring constantly. This takes about 1 minute. Do not overcook or the butter solids will separate and you will end up with grease with a sugary lump in the middle. Pour over saltines and spread evenly. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let set 2 minutes, then spread melted chips with spatula. Sprinkle with nuts, then press down lightly.

When cool and chocolate is set, cut on a diagonal. You can accelerate this process by cooling to approx room temp and then putting pan in freezer for 20 minutes or in fridge for about 2 hours.

Yields approx. 30 pieces. Pieces can be frozen. Broken bits from cutting are excellent on vanilla ice cream.

*I’ve also seen recipes using graham crackers and matzo crackers. If I was making this with matzo I would add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the butter mixture. Or maybe skip the salt there and use salted nuts on top of the chocolate. Or maybe fancy Hawaiian salt on the chocolate. Mmmm, I might have to go experiment now……

10 comments:

Candi said...

Yum! I will definitely make this over the summer!!!

cheatymoon said...

I make this at Christmas. Freaking delish. But oh so many WW points...

benson said...

really? saltines? who knew.

Pseudo said...

I think I need to make this. Feeling a bit down inthe dumps, just a touch. A bit of chocolate could be just the thing.

Robin said...

Pseudo, this'll fix what ails ya, and if it doesn't at least you'll have enough left over to bribe others to do things for you, which has its own therapeutic qualities.

Fifi Flowers said...

Ooooh that looks DELISH!!! Makes me think I need to go to the candy shop!

nelya said...

I have never heard of this! Holy freakin' cow, it sounds incredible, and so easy, and did I mention INCREDIBLE!

I'm making this for the fourth, toute de suite! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

ticklishfromadistance said...

It is soooooo good. Sinful, really.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

SO making this!!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite things to make/eat at Christmas. The only thing I do differently is use Club Crackers instead of Saltines.