Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

{Dad on his 65th, photo by Chris Adams}

My Dad's been an off-and-on bicyclist for as long as I can remember, but he really took to it with fervor when he retired two years ago. He rides probably 30 to 40 miles a day as long as it is not snowing. Neither rain, nor cold, nor heat shall keep him from his appointed rounds! Here he is at Lighthouse Point in New Haven on his 65th birthday, April 3, 2007. He'd had a goal of riding a metric century (100 km, or 62 miles) for his birthday, and since it was such a nice day out, he and his biking buddy did 65 miles, one for each of his years.
He is also an avid kiter, making his own kites and leading kite-making workshops. He's always on the lookout for some nifty materials for making kite templates or for indoor mini-kites. If you give him a gift wrapped in mylar or that gauzy tissuepaper that resembles colored dryer sheets, he squirrels the wrapping paper away for later use the way my grandmothers did. Only they would use it to wrap another gift; he will use it in some kite-making scheme.

{The Master at work at a kite-making workshop, photo by Mantaray. Note, Dad's sewing machine is nicer than mine or my Mom's.}


{The finished product, photo by Postman1107. This kite is actually 8 connected kites. I love the tails!}


{Up and away, photo by Postman110.}

I love you Daddy, Happy Father's Day.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

My eyes are too misty to even comment on this one. Robin, you made his day.xoxoxoxoxo

papasan said...

Robin, you are too much. Thanks

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Wow! What an interesting dad you have! His kites are amazing. I hope I'm half as active and creative as he is when I'm in my 60s. -Julia :-)

Fifi Flowers said...

WOW! Fabulous post! What talent! Gorgeous kites... nothing like the ol' paper and rag tails kites.

please sir said...

Wow that is very interesting - the results are amazing!

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh you are so blessed to have a Dad. He looks like great fun. He loves life!! Cherish him! A-M xx

A home far away said...

What a nice post about your father! I think he is as proud of you, as you of him:-)

Hugs from a rainy Sweden

heidi said...

great post!!! Cool Dad. Happy Father's Day!

littlebyrd said...

He is fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.

Mrs.French said...

Your dad sounds like an amazing man. I am 34 and can't imagine riding 10 miles on my bike! and kites! B would love him.

robin ann mcintosh said...

what a trooper. great post.

knitseashore said...

Happy belated Father's Day to your Dad. He is one of the most interesting people that I have met, and I always enjoy riding with him. We hope to do that again soon when Chris gets healed -- maybe July 4th.

Those kites are amazing!

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

What a lovely tribute to your father. He seems like an amazing man. I love his kites.

simply seleta said...

Oh my gosh, how inspiring! Your father is creative, passionate and fit. 30 miles a day? How amazing. He's an example for us all.

Marie Louise said...

Robin - you're dad is putting the rest of us to shame. I don't think I will join him bike riding any time soon. Definitely an inspiration though - if he can do it...
Must..get..my..butt..in shape!

TIG said...

Such a wonderful, interesting post! Hope you had a great Father's Day.

Julia said...

That's so fun! My dad has been a cyclist for YEARS as well! I love that photo of your dad at the top :)

Anonymous said...

that is THE most beautiful kite - what a great hobby to have...

Teal Chic said...

How cool is that! Great post, Robin!!! Thank you for your sweet comments...they always brighten my day! :)

Marnie said...

kites are so much fun - can't imagine flying that big one though - fun to learn about a real kiteman !