Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Recipe for a Perfect Summer Weekend in NYC

Flatiron Bldg askew
{The Flatiron Building, Askew. It was the only way I could frame the whole thing with my little camera}
Pre-heat the calendar to the last weekend before school starts. Take one hard-working marketing director (me) and one high school music teacher (The BF) with a pending birthday, and add:
 
A cheap bus from Hartford to Midtown, a camera shop that is the mecca of photographers and technophiles everywhere, a French bistro that serves late lunches of moules frites and wine with Lillet. ABC Carpet & Home on Lower Broadway, an ice cream truck that you heard about on NPR, a shady bench in Union Square Park.
Big Gay Ice Cream Truck at Union Sq
{The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck parked at Union Square}
A wonderful hotel in Murray Hill, a subway map, an iPhone app for Zagat that tells you where the locals go for Italian in Greenwich Village. Pasta made in a cellar, wine made in Piedmont, panna cotta made in heaven.
 
Porca Miseria Chandelier1 
{Porca Miseria Chandelier by Ingo Maurer}
Picasso, Magritte and Ingo Maurer's "Porca Miseria! Chandelier" at MoMA, a street fair on Sixth Avenue, fantastic sandwiches crafted by a Top Chef, a wedding in St. Patrick's Cathedral. Used books at The Strand, an unbelievable birthday dinner at the Union Square Cafe, sitting next to a movie star, hoping to flag down the Cash Cab, drinks at a swanky nightclub.
Algonquin Round Table
{The Round Table, at the Algonquin Hotel, Where Mrs. Parker and The Vicious Circle dined and dished}
Another street fair on the Ave where the Men are Mad, finding Dorothy Parker's seat at the Algonquin Round Table, breakfast (and another wedding!) in Bryant Park, trying to figure out where they used to put the Fashion Week tents, dashing through Midtown to catch the bus back from Penn Station. Home.
 
All photos by me. More on my Flickr page.
Today I'm also participating in Hooked on Houses "Hooked on Fridays" link party, so scoot on over there and see what everyone else is hooked on.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love, love, love NYC! My best friend and I are taking our daughters there for their 16th birthday next June. We can't wait!!

Nancy said...

It looks like you had a great visit!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

I used to live in the city and I can't tell you how much I miss it. Great post!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

LOVE the NYC! ;) I'm taking an annual day trip up with some girlfriends in December. :) So much fun! Visiting from Julia's party. :)

Linda aka Heartfire At Home said...

Hi Robin!

I would so love to visit NYC one day - the city that never sleeps! I've never been out of Australia at all, and want to see so many things!

That building is utterly amazing! What an eye opener!

It sounds like you had a jam-packed time! 'Used books at the Strand' just sounds divine!

Linda. :)

Embellished Bayou said...

Wow, sounds like a great time! It reminds me of the trip to NYC my BFF & I took last year to celebrate our 30th b-days. I heart NYC!

Puppy day care said...

I need to visit again soon. Lived there in my early 20's and there is a part of me that will always call it home. Can't wait to click on all your links!

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE your post... I want to get on a bus to NYC... only I want it to be a quick ride like yours!
Bon week-end mon amie!
Fifi
BTW... Come visit moi too... I'm part of Hooked on House too and I painted one of her door photos... click on my Painting du Jour button to see it!

cheatymoon said...

My child spent the entire 2 mos of summer in NYC and I didn't make it down there. (I take my hermit time seriously).
Now I am wishing I had taken advantage of the perfect opportunity...
Love this post, Robin.
...And that hotel...!

knitseashore said...

What a wonderful birthday! I'd love to go to NYC with you sometime -- it sounds like you know all of the best places to be!

Off to check out the link party!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

OH i miss NYC....My home...!
The flatiron building brought back so many memories.
Jen Ramos

www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com