Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hold the phone, Domino may be calling

That’s right fellow shelter mag junkies, I said Domino. The word in ad-land is that Conde Nast has a soon-to-be-released Gourmet app –- that may be followed by a Domino version.
clip_image003
The Gourmet app launches in November, and while it will include selections from Gourmet’s treasure-trove of classic food editorial, it will be a social experience “that will involve earning points, spending virtual currency and sharing recipes.” According to Ad Age, Conde Nast CEO Chuck Townsend said other shelved brands that failed as print publications during the recession could be brought back in different forms, such as the beloved shelter title Domino, "one of those brands we know has real legs."

I can see the attraction of a recipe and grocery-list app for a smartphone (I already have 3 for my iPhone). But when it comes to a potential Domino version, two things worry me: the impact of good decor photos will be completely lost on the small screen of a smartphone*, and the prospect of user-generated decor photos + virtual currency + social experience makes me think of Farmville decorated by Apartment Therapy. And that can’t be good.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t be one of the first to download once it becomes available, however. ;-)
*hmmm, would look great on an iPad…

5 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Interesting! I hadn't heard about this. Definitely would be better suited to an iPad, methinks.

Raina Cox said...

That's some awesome goss/news, Miz R.!

cheatymoon said...

All wanty for a phone or iPad... xo

knitseashore said...

As much as I love and miss Domino, I'm not seeing any helpful apps out of it. I do wish they'd put the content of the magazine back online; I kept all of my back issues and do occasionally look things up in them. Searchable recipes from Domino would be particularly helpful.

What do you think of the online Lonny magazine? I wish it were in print...lovely but hard to navigate.

Fifi Flowers said...

Oooooh I can't wait to see... ooooh could they make a House & Gardens one tooo... I soooo miss that mag too!!! Maybe even MORE!!!