Monday, July 7, 2008

Bon appetit!


{The renovated kitchen in Julia Child's former Cambridge MA home. Photos from Premier Properties of Boston}


{Julia's kitchen back in the day, now on display at the Smithsonian. Julia had the counters custom designed at a height comfortable for a 6'2" woman to cook at. On the right is one of two pegboards designed by her husband to hang all her pots, pans and molds. Photo from the Smithsonian via current.org}

The late, great Julia Child donated her famous Cambridge kitchen to the Smithsonian, so it stands to reason that the house it came out of would need a slight remodel. Now that the house is for sale, the world can peek into the rooms that never made it on camera in the 40+ years that she lived in and filmed her Boston-based public television cooking show.

The original kitchen has a homey look that contributed to the success of her show, which focused on the approachable aspects of gourmet cooking. But I think she would have appreciated the bright airiness of the new kitchen, especially as it features Miele, Sub-Zero and Kuppersbusch Okotherm appliances, as well as a big marble-topped island perfect for rolling out pastry dough. As it should, for $4.35 million, no?

13 comments:

please sir said...

Lovely look - very comforting!

Susie Harris said...

Now that was some kitchen! Susie H~

Hooked on Houses said...

What a fun post! I didn't know Julia Child's house was on the market. Thanks for the link to the MLS. That's one big house, huh?

Love how you posted a photo of her old kitchen next to the new. I guess it goes to show you don't need a state-of-the art kitchen to cook well if you've got her kind of talent. (For me, I'm thinking the state-of-the-art appliances just might come in handy, though.)

Thanks, Robin! -Julia

a little bird said...

oh, I like the bottom one the most : ) cool topic.

knitseashore said...

If you can afford a $4.5 million dollar house, wouldn't you want to hire a chef? If I could afford that house, I would!

A-M said...

Oh I love the old kitchen... complete with tea-towel on the stove handle! New one is great too...wooden floors and white... my kinda style! A-M xx

paola said...

I do love that combination of dark wood and white AND the windows (which don't seem to have made their way into the Smithsonian exhibit...)

Marie Louise said...

I made my kitchen counters higher by about two inches in my old house - much more comfortable to work at, although can't say it help my cooking skills.

The Lil Bee said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this! Her original kitchen is so neat!

Mrs.French said...

I am a complete goof...I like the original kitchen better...actually I would take either!

littlebyRD said...

I love the new look!

simply seleta said...

Very interesting post. I sort of like the old kitchen too. It's much warmer, more her personality. But white marble, oh that makes the heart go pitter pat.

PutzFrau said...

I was JUST at the smithsonian and had I known her kitchen was there, I would have gone!!!!!!!

DOH!