The West Wing is my new crack.
I have no idea where I was from 1999-2006, when the show originally aired. Well, I know where I was, I just can't pin down the specifics of why I didn't watch it. It has all my favorite things - great writing, witty banter, smart female characters, realistic plot lines and a talented cast and crew to bring it all together. I'm sorry I missed it the first time around, and although I've caught a glimpse or two on Bravo, it's not the kind of show where you can jump feet first into one episode and know all you need to know to understand it (like Law & Order). Add to that the following:
- Continued media/blog speculation that "the West Wing is coming true" with the election of Obama and his appointment of Rahm Emanuel (alleged inspiration for the "Josh Lyman" character on WW),
- there is nothing on now that Mad Men is over for the season and Lost won't be on until January (!!)
- my increased need for escapist entertainment during this, the busiest season of my work year
- my neighbors, Meg & Mo (aka Two Ladies In Waiting) and Lyrical Uncertainty & his wife Muffin, blathering on about their mutual love of WW and arguing over whether a certain incident happened in season 2 or season 3
- the fact that said neighbors have most seasons on DVD
... and you have a recipe for me becoming a hermit. I watched 5 episodes in one sitting yesterday.
Ooh! And because I love floor plans almost as much as I love maps, look what I found online:
Gotta go. Episode 10 is about to start, and The Lounging Party is waiting for me.