Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

The cheesy prom pose was his idea

{Matthew Modine and I, apparently about to break into a tango. Sorry about the bad photo quality, blame my iPhone}

Earlier this month the BF and I went to a swanky fundraiser for the local arts council, where we tasted lots of wine, sampled food from local restaurants, schmoozed, and bid on silent auction items that we didn't win (we forgot to keep going back to check on our items and were quickly outbid by others. This is what happens when you stop tasting wine and move on to martinis). Amidst the crowd of local business tycoons, non-profit leaders, arts execs and hoi polloi like ourselves was a tall dark & handsome guy that I kept thinking I knew, in a "did I go to high school with him" kind of way. Um, no, actually it was more like "did I have mad crush on him while I was in high school and he was starring in Vision Quest*".
Matthew Modine, one of the objects of my teenage affection, is in town in rehearsals for To Kill A Mockingbird at our (Tony Award-winning, thank you) regional theater and came to the fundraiser with the theater prinicipals. We don't get a lot of big stars in town so when one is in our midst the reactions range from stammeringly starstruck to ridiculously over-familiar. I was somewhere in between, but the real estate developer who owns the building where I work falls in the latter category, shouting out (like they are old pals) "Hey Matthew, Robin would like a photo with you" as Matthew entered the room we were in. Thankfully, Mr. Modine was not only gracious about the whole thing, but a little corny, hence the cheesy prom pose (as he put it) above. We even had a nice conversation about how rehearsals were going, how he liked Hartford, etc. He is very charming and looks you right in the eye when he speaks to you. My teenage crush is renewed.
*Yeah, now you have Madonna's Crazy For You stuck in your head don't you? Me too.

12 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Ack, I hate that song. But really cool that you met him and got a snap!! You guys look great together!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, how fun! I love it--especially the cheesy prom pose.

Raina Cox said...

I first thought "Damn, her boyfriend (husband?) really favors Matthew Modine. Lucky girl."

Robin said...

Actually Raina, my boyfriend looks more like Peter Gallagher (the dad from The O.C.), only bald. I should have someone take a pic of us doing the cheesy prom pose!

sas said...

OK we will need a shot of you and sandy cohen :)

Anonymous said...

He looks exactly like the actor in this new-to-us (old) BBC series we just discovered on YouTube called Goodnight Sweetheart. His hat and overcoat are very 1940s swank. :)

I've been having Madonna moments too lately...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had such a crush on him in high school also. And he was great in Married to the Mob. And Full Metal Jacket. And Weeds. Um, I guess I still have a crush.

robin ann mcintosh said...

that's awesome :) now i will have that song in my head for the rest of the day... not so awesome.

Anonymous said...

I see you through the smokey air
Can't you feel the weight of my stare
You're so close but still a world away
What I'm dying to say, is that . . .

Fifi Flowers said...

Wellll... now you can cross that fantasy off your list of to dos!

Anonymous said...

You look so pretty! Thanks for sharing your link :)

hello gorgeous said...

Oh, good. I needed a song stuck in my head today for painting.

I had a short-lived crush on Matthew Modine. I can't remember what movie it was from. How cute.