Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Not your average brown bag

{A b.happy bag in the Leslie pattern}

I'm managing a big event in Chicago in a couple of weeks, and among the schwag are these fantastic, upholstery-grade, 100% cotton, made-in-the-USA grocery (etc.) bags from b.happybags. We ordered three different fabrics (because we couldn't decide on just one) and hopefully there won't be too many fistfights over who gets which pattern. I'm partial to this pattern, since I have a thing for Jacobean prints, and I think the plaid on the side is not as Burberry-ish as it looks in this pic.

b.happybags was started by two Phoenix-area women whose goal in producing these bags "is to appeal to the people that think you have to don your Birkenstocks to make a wise post consumer decision." Plus its way cooler to carry your cat litter in a Pucci-inspired tote.

The last thing I need, however, is another cotton grocery bag. I have been bringing my own bags to the grocery store for about 6 months now, and while I occasionally have need of a paper grocery sack to store the newspapers before recycling, for the most part it has been an easy switch for me. And I actually remember to bring them into the store with me 99% of the time. I keep them all in my trunk in a tote-shaped basket with leather handles that I use for heavier canned goods.

Okay, maybe just one more bag...

11 comments:

littlebyrd said...

Buying reusable grocery bags was one of the best things I ever did! These are much prettier than the ones I use - must upgrade soon! Seriously, I love not having all the plastic bags piling up in the basement. I do miss a nice supply of brown bags though sometimes for recycling items.

pve design said...

bag ladies brigade is inspiring. need to re-think my bags and bring home the groceries in style.
see my post today -
a little-byrd sent me....

Robin said...

Rebekah, with your sewing skills and fabric stash I'm surprised you haven't stiched up a dozen bags yourself!

Patricia, thanks for the link, I'm honored to be in such company!

please sir said...

Love it - and yes, I love reusable bags too!

Anonymous said...

Lovely bags, such a stylish way to shop, and so much nicer than the stiff woven ones they sell at the grocery store with their logo all over them.

robin ann mcintosh said...

ohh i love it! too bad i read this post, i might have to spring for yet another bag...

- currently i use my 'kpcc' tote, an npr gift for donating - but i might have to step it up.

happy friday :)

Mrs.French said...

These are the prettiest shopping bags I have seen...except I would have to have about 20 of them in our house to carry all of our groceries.

Marie Louise said...

Hey you! Getting sick of looking at this brown (abeit cute) bag! Busy, all weekend? ;-)

*L said...

i'm inspired. just took my first sewing class so i'm looking fowad to the bag project!

please sir said...

I love reusable bags too...great find!

please sir said...

Opps...already said that...sorry!!