Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Happy Boxing Day, grab a shovel

snowman_clip

Happy Boxing Day! Here in Connecticut we are awaiting the storm that yesterday blanketed the Southeast with a White Christmas. The weather fear-mongers are calling for a blizzard of 12-18” and 40 mph winds, which of course had people panicked last night. “It’s Christmas! All the stores are closed! I can’t stock up on bread and milk and snowmelt and shovels (how do you live in New England and not have a snow shovel?) and we will be snowed in for months Icannevereverleavethehouseeveragain whatwillIdooooooo?” Fun times! Personally I’m annoyed that the storm will prevent me from meeting up with an out-of-town college friend I haven’t seen in years and from hitting the half-off sales for next year’s wrapping paper etc.

So I’ll be keeping cozy with The Lounging Party, some Christmas leftovers, my Google Reader and a stack of DVDs and books (including this (nerd alert) and this, received as gifts from my wonderful family yesterday). Although I live downtown, my building is on a side street that probably won’t get plowed ‘til Tuesday, so I may have to instigate an impromptu BYOB potluck in my building… I love a snow day!

Snowman Treeclip by CatandFiddlefolk on Etsy.

5 comments:

cheatymoon said...

I had to cancel my driving and am now on couch with iPad. You will love Firefly. happy snow day!

My Castle in Spain said...

Merry Christmas to you too ! Enjoy the Holiday and stay cozy and warm ! :-)

Fifi Flowers said...

Happy Boxing day to you too... glad I don't have to shovel any snow... STAY as warm as YOU can!!!!

Holyoke Home said...

What does boxing day celebrate (too lazy to google it)?

How many inches did you get? Eastern Mass got hammered, but we only got about 6-8 inches out here.

Robin said...

Boxing Day is a British custom (also celebrated in Canada and other commonwealths of the Empire). Some say it stems from when the gentry would allow The Help to go home to their families the day after Christmas with a box of leftover food and clothing in exchange for working Christmas Day at The Big House. There are also references to St. Stephen's Day (Dec 26) but I don't know what that had to do with boxes. I used to work for a Canadian company and we always had it off... and I'm all for extra days off!

Parts of CT got socked with 14+ inches but here in Hartford we got about 9. Luckily it was dry and blowy, so no scraping of the car!