Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Groovin' on a Tuesday afternoon

I'm in Chicago for a conference my company produces, and found time to play tourist this afternoon. My fab assistant Kelly and I had lunch in Millennium Park, where we sat outside (80 degrees!) and enjoyed the view of these trees blooming in front of the Crown Fountain and the lovely old buildings on Michigan Avenue (some date from the Chicago World's Fair days - any other fans of Devil in the White City out there?). I have no idea who these people in my photo are, but note the top of the recycling bin in the bottom of the photo. Next to it is a garbage can. We sat there for over an hour, and everyone who made a deposit sorted their trash. Just goes to show you, if you make it easy for people, they will willingly recycle!

9 comments:

Marnie said...

I have Devil in the White City on my bookshelf - we almost chose it for a recent bookgroup title but decided on Theatre by Somerset Maugham instead - I love Chicago

Marie Louise said...

You've left town without telling me! And lunch with Kelly in the bright, gorgeous, Chicago sunshine. Don't mind me, I'll be here in my orange close eating soup...

Robin said...

Marnie - read it! Book club or no! its a great story, really well told, and even more shocking because it is true. Not for the weak of heart or stomach. If you liked The Alienist you'll like this.

ML - didn't you get my rambling voicemail, the one where I said "I'm off to Chicago this week"? I know you get cell reception in that closet, er office...

knitseashore said...

Chicago is such a fun city; I've been there once or twice for work but never have enough time to explore it. I hope you can get to the Art Institute!

I agree with you about the recycling. If our state would only adopt that attitude towards public transport as well, it would be a huge step forward. Bicycle lanes and places to lock your bike would be a great start, as well as expanded train service. More people would use those things if they were available to us.

Debby
aka She Knits by the Seashore :)

littlebyrd said...

Chicago - fun! 80 degrees sounds pretty good to me. That is so cool they have the recycling bins there. I was at a playground the other day with my son and there wasn't even a garbage can - so people just left it on the ground. Completely disgusting.

robin ann mcintosh said...

nice! that inspires me to always recycle. if those chitown natives can do it, why can't i?

Anonymous said...

Hello there. Thank you for the visit on my blog. Now I get to discover yours! take care.

Mrs.French said...

Chicago is one of those spots I have always wanted to go. So strange I haven't been considering I used to live in the Twin Cities...maybe one day.

Stacy said...

Sounds like an awesome day.