Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I don't get the connection


Dear Coldplay, Jack Johnson, Fiona Apple, Eric Clapton, Jamie Cullum and Duran Duran:

I'm sorry, but you have to go. I'm afraid I can't listen to you anymore. It seems that since I subscribe to Cottage Living, I'm supposed to like country music. I know there was that time in the early 90s when I said I would leave my husband for Garth Brooks, but I was young, and I thought he was cute. And then he went and left his wife for Trisha Yearwood, and, well, you can't trust a man like that, can you.

I like the cottage aesthetic, and the idea of living in a small space vs a McMansion. I guess that means I am supposed to want to see what the country stars' houses look like. I'm sure that they all live in cottages, not mansions at all. And I'm sure going "backstage" with them is going to be very realistic and not staged, and they'll show their little craft area on the tour bus and where they like to hang out with their dog and the organic farmers market that they stop at whenever they're in town. I'm sure none of them have a small army of personal trainers, chefs, hairdressers, masseuses (masseusi?), voice coaches, interior designers, assistants, managers and psychics to help them get through the trials of daily living. In their cottage.

ps - I have nothing against country music, and in fact could sing you most of Patsy Cline's catalog, although not as well as she could. I just don't get what is the connection between "cottage" and "country music".

7 comments:

littlebyrd said...

Ha Ha! I saw this in my email box too!

please sir said...

Hmmm...it is a weird connection...wtf?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what is the connection? Since when does "country" decor = "country" everything? The two have nothing to do with each other. Does that mean if I like "mid century modern" I must like Frank Sinatra and Doris Day music? Or sock hop music?

And "cottage" isn't necessarily all that "country" anyway, sometimes it is pretty contemporary. The last issue of CL had a cottage so sleek that if you didn't see the exterior shots you would think it was a loft.

knitseashore said...

But what I really want to know is, if I subscribe to McMansion Living, which stars' homes will be featured in that?? The rapper in Farmington? Michael Vicks' estate? Britney's houses? Martha and Oprah already have their own magazines...

On a more serious note, do you like Romantic Homes? Sometimes it's pretty and sometimes the houses are way overdone, I think. It's hard to find a good vintage magazine.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

You are so funny. This cracked me up. I don't see the connection, either! -Julia :-)

robin ann mcintosh said...

hahaha. wtf is right, can you imagine eric clapton baking some apple pie in a log cabin? psh.

Teal Chic said...

i'm with you on garth brooks!