Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Rock yourself to sleep

{embroidered pillowcase, Hard Rock Hotel Chicago}

The Hard Rock franchise takes Rock 'n' Roll very seriously. Every hotel floor is named for different band or musician, with iconic photos engraved on 8 foot x 8 foot metal plates and glass cases with signed costumes or instruments (or both) in every elevator lobby. This visit I'm staying on the "Chicago" floor, with one of their old autographed (and heavily scarred) pianos and a trombone in a glass case by the elevator. Ever since I checked in (two days ago), their early hit ("Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?") has been running through my head. Over. And over. And over. Even after I sang a few lyrics of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" for the fab assistant Kelly when she said "I'm on the Annie Lennox floor, who is she?", I'm still stuck with "twenty-five or -six to foooouuurrrr...."

Anyway, the real reason for this post was to show off the sweet little guitars embroidered on the pillow cases. I am a sucker for details, and this is the type of little touch that sets a hotel apart from the rest.

Tell the truth now, how many of you know have either of those songs running through your head? And how impressed are you with yourself that you remember most of the lyrics?

7 comments:

Marie Louise said...

Love those pillows! I was just in the "W" hotel there and was not particularly impressed. It looked like a retrofitted Holiday Inn, who's renovation was done by some bad TLC design team.
As for knowing songs by heart...I was at a Billy Joel concert a few years ago with my bff and I found I knew every word to every song. Didn't know I was such a fan!

littlebyrd said...

Funny! The Sweet Dreams song is what is stuck in my head. Is there a Bruce Springsteen floor? I will need to go if there is. Have a great time!

Robin said...

ML - he totally should have hired us as backup singers!

RD - There is no floor for The Boss at this Hard Rock, but I'm sure there is at one of their other hotels. Hmmm, I think a good plan is to start your search at their Bali property and work your way back to the US...

Marie Louise said...

The Boss doesn't need his own floor. He can stay in my room.
;-)

littlebyrd said...

Bali is a good place to start...I like your way of thinking!

las palabras mágicas said...

Hello Robin, nice to meet you! It was very nice to have you visiting my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I hope you are having a very good trip, that hotel rocks!
These days there's this guy on TV singing at all times "dance the chiki,chiki, dance the chiki, chiki..." and it's becoming a national anthem

robin ann mcintosh said...

the truth: now i have both songs running through my head. tsk, tsk!